Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Update on GetOffTheCouch.info

Get Off The Couch banner

This news blog began as an outgrowth of the Get Off The Couch (GOTC) web site. I'd been posting news articles without benefit of a blogging platform, and it was just a no-brainer to make the switch. The two sites should support each other. GetOffTheCouch.info has detailed information about where to find quiet, muscle-powered recreation opportunities in Mason, Lake, Manistee, and Oceana Counties in west Michigan.

It's been very successful in some ways. The traffic has been great, ranging from 90,000 to 120,000 hits a year. But my original dream for how to make the site pay for itself has been a learning experience. I thought that it would be a great place for local motels, eateries, sport stores, outfitters, etc. to get the word out to people who are looking for those local recreation sites.

But, the reality has been that local places do not want to advertise on the internet. I won't bore you with the details, but the truth is that I have only one local advertiser left (other than me promoting my own stuff). Gathering the info and maintaining the site takes way too much time to just be a hobby, so I've lowered my sites from that lofty and am working at putting Google ads throughout the site.

Over the past two years, while I was completing my North Country Trail quest, GOTC hasn't been getting much attention. In particular, the calendar is completely out of date, and will be removed for the time being. It needs to be made interactive for easier entering of events. It was also very difficult to compile the pertinent information. I'm unsure what the solution would be to that problem.

I'm also in the process of moving the entire site to my own server space, which will cost less. This shouldn't be too difficult, except that the forms for condition reports on every page will need to be redone, and this takes time.

I absolutely believe that this project is viable, but to date have not been able to remotely begin to have it pay for itself.

Anyone with a relevant blog or web site who is interested in advertising, feel free to read the Get Off The Couch advertising terms.

See Get Off The Couch
These links are checked on the date of the article. As the article ages, some links may become invalid

Go To www.getoffthecouchnews.blogspot.com for all the news
See Get Off The Couch


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails